Elliptical Cross Trainers are exercise equipment that resembles a stationary bike without a seat, so exercising is done standing up. It has pedals that the user rotates in an elliptical pattern to reduce stress on the knee joints.
10 benefits of an elliptical machine
1. Boosts your stamina and cardio capacity: Cardiovascular or aerobic activity is a crucial component of a well-rounded exercise program. Your heart and lungs must work harder when you engage in aerobic activity to supply your muscles with more blood and oxygen. You may get a great cardiovascular workout on the elliptical machine, which can strengthen your heart, lungs, and muscles. Your stamina and endurance can subsequently be increased as a result. You can perform high-intensity interval training on elliptical Cross Trainers and steady-state cardio workouts.
2. Burns a lot of calories: Get on the elliptical cross trainers if you want to maximize your calorie burn in a short period. Depending on your weight, using this exercise equipment could burn between 270 and 400 calories in 30 minutes. The range’s lower end corresponds to a person who weighs 127 pounds (58.7 kg), while the upper end corresponds to a person who weighs 185 pounds (85.9 kg). You can lose weight by burning more calories than you take in. Consider making your elliptical workouts more intense to increase your calorie burn.
3. Puts less stress on your joints: Running enthusiasts with sore joints and overuse problems were delighted when the elliptical entered the cardio machine market in the 1990s. They could now exercise their cardiovascular system while reducing some of the stress on their joints. Running or engaging in other high-impact aerobic exercises can be hard on your knees, ankles, hips, and other joints. Since your feet never leave the pedals, an elliptical machine offers a low-impact cardio workout. According to a 2014 study, an elliptical workout is much less weight-bearing than other aerobic exercises like running, jogging, and similar activities. In other words, you can continue exercising on an elliptical without experiencing the damage of high-impact exercise.
4. Provides both an upper and lower body workout: One of some pieces of cardio equipment that can engage the upper and lower bodies is elliptical with handlebars. Its upper body advantages are maximized when your weight and resistance are distributed evenly. Alternatively, move your arms as quickly as your legs. The elliptical machine may effectively work your glutes, hamstrings, quads, chest, back, biceps, and core muscles.
5. Burns body fat: An elliptical cross trainer burns more calories than conventional workout equipment, like a stationary cycle. It may enable you to burn off body fat more quickly. This is especially true if you emphasize interval training. To maximize fat burning, try focusing on your workout’s intensity and duration. According to one study, while both high-and medium-intensity exercises effectively reduce body fat, high-intensity interval training allows you to do more in a shorter period. Interval training can be added to your elliptical workouts in a 2-to-1 ratio, such as 30 seconds of high-intensity work followed by 15 seconds of recovery or 60 seconds of high-intensity work followed by 30 seconds of recovery. During the healing phase, keep moving your legs. The pedal motion should continue but more slowly.
6. Focuses on particular leg muscles: You can change the foot pedals’ resistance and incline on an elliptical. You can target different lower body muscles, including the quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. You might feel your lower back more as the incline increases. You might feel your courts working harder if you lower the foot pedals. Additionally, because the foot pedals can slide backward, you can shift the direction of your stride and concentrate more on your glutes and hamstrings.
7. Improves your balance: Weight-bearing exercise can help strengthen your bones and improve your credit. You may target your core muscles and improve your cardiovascular fitness if you stand up straight and release the elliptical grips. To operate the elliptical machine safely without using the handlebars, ensure the resistance and incline are set at manageable levels.
8. Maintains fitness after injury: Working out on an elliptical can be an excellent way to elevate or maintain your fitness if you are recovering from an injury and cannot engage in regular physical activity. The elliptical machine is less strenuous on your joints than running, jogging, or leaping because it is a low-impact exercise. After an injury, using an elliptical machine to exercise may help you restore your entire range of motion. It can also relieve stress from the afflicted area while strengthening your muscles and joints.
9. Provides various options: Most elliptical cross trainers have preprogrammed workouts that simulate hill climbing, interval training, and other configurable settings that help you obtain the desired movement.
10. Straightforward to use: It does not take long to learn how to operate an elliptical, which is one of its benefits. Although there is not much of a learning curve with this machine, if you’ve never used one before, you might want to seek the advice of a personal trainer. You can get advice from a trainer on how to use it properly and what kind of exercise may be best for your fitness objectives. You might prefer to use the foot pedals only when using the elliptical for the first few times. You can add the handles after becoming accustomed to how the machine moves.
Is an elliptical cross trainer as good as cycling?
The elliptical cross trainer and cycling are both regarded as low-impact cardiovascular exercises. Running or other high-intensity activities are worse on the joints than cycling or elliptical training since your feet are in touch with the pedals the entire time you work out. An upright or recumbent bike can regulate the resistance for a cardiovascular workout and calorie burn like the elliptical. It’s a little trickier to compare elliptical exercise to cycling outdoors. Outside, extra variables exist, like hills, uneven ground, trails, and traffic. This frequently leads to a more interval-based workout than a regular, moderate-intensity elliptical session. Your body needs to become accustomed to various situations when cycling outside. Cycling may be a better workout if you search for a more practical sport that mimics your movement patterns more frequently. Additionally, research based on self-reported data suggests that riding to work instead of using a car may result in a slower rate of weight gain over time.
Drawbacks of the elliptical cross trainer
1. Unnatural movement: If you have used an elliptical previously, you may have noticed that because you are simultaneously utilizing your upper and lower bodies, using the machine can cause your body to twist abnormally. The elliptical is designed primarily for users of standard height. Therefore, if the pedals do not comfortably suit your legs and hips, you might be uncomfortable using the machine.
2. Low impact and no incline: Even though low impact can be an advantage, it can also be a disadvantage. Some people like and prefer low-impact workouts, but some do not need them. Because it does not require users to bear any weight, the elliptical cross trainer is perfect for people who are recovering from surgery, an accident, or medical ailments like arthritis.It is preferable to use a treadmill if you want an exercise machine with an angle because it may target your glute muscles more intensely while also increasing your aerobic capacity.
3. Limited range of exercise: Exercises requiring the user to bear weight should offer protection against osteoporosis, which is significant for post-menopausal women. However, using an elliptical machine should only provide a few weight-bearing advantages. Using the elliptical can put an unequal strain on your lower body, particularly the legs. People who have used the elliptical also mention that the elliptical can be challenging to operate because of the constant need to keep the pedals in motion, which can require quite an effort.
4. Expensive price tag: If you frequent gyms, you might have noticed that there is always an elliptical machine. If you have a gym membership, you can use the elliptical as much as you like. You will need to spend more than Rs. 20,000 to acquire a high-quality machine if you decide to get one for your house. The cost of an elliptical cross trainer as a piece of exercise gear can be higher than the price of a new pair of athletic shoes or another month of a gym membership. Even so, the high cost will be seen as an investment in your health if you like the concept of enjoying the health and physical fitness advantages of owning an elliptical at home.
Here are the top 5 best Elliptical Cross Trainers in India
Cockatoo CE03Advance Smart Series Elliptical Cross Trainer (1 Year Warranty, Free Installation Assistance)
About this item
- Flywheel Size: Maximum User Weight & Height Support: 120Kgs /160-195cm; Weight Capacity: 6KGS. One year Warranty
- Maximum User Weight & Height accommodation:110Kgs /160-195cm; 3-Position adjustable Pedal keeps your wrist in a neutral position and helps you in a helpful workout.
- Operating Technology: Magnetic Mechanism and magnetic resistance provide a quiet and smooth ride without interrupting you.
Reach AB-110 Air Bike Exercise Fitness Cycle with Moving or Stationary Handle Adjustments for Home
About this item
- Easy interface- This stationary bike has a user-friendly tracker and an LCD that allows you to scan modes and track your time, distance, speed, and calories burned as you exercise.
- Easy installation & support service – To provide peace of mind when purchasing, we provide a 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee.
- Using Our Compassionate Customer Service. We are sure that you will be super-impressed with the durability, portability, and high quality of our Exercise Cycle. 1-year warranty. Reach: A GlobalBees Brand
AmazonBasics Magnetic Elliptical Cross Trainer with 8 Resistance Levels, 5 Kg Flywheel, Max Weight 100 Kg
About this item
- Sturdy Elliptical Cross Trainer with a heavy-duty steel frame for high-intensity cardio training; ideal for working out both upper and lower body
- Equipped with a user-friendly display monitor which tracks speed, distance, calories, RPM, pulse, and time, the pulse monitoring device handles monitors heart rate.
- Equipped with a resistance adjustment control knob with eight resistance levels to increase or decrease the resistance of peddling to vary exercise intensity
Welcare Elliptical Cross Trainer WC6044 with Adjustable seat, Hand Pulse Sensor, LCD Monitor, Adjustable Resistance for Home Use (DIY Installation with Video Call Assistance)
About this item
- 5 kgs flywheel with two-way rotation; Flywheel increases the momentum of your speed, reducing your impact on your knees.
- Considerable LCD window monitor tracks speed, time, distance, scan, heart rate, and burnt calories.
- All data is dual-calibrated by profound algorithms, which will make you know your exercise progress and adjust your training plan in time to achieve your exercise goal.
- A hand pulse pad is conveniently placed on handrails to measure heart rate efficiently.
OneFitplus OFP-M1 (Flywheel: 14.3lbs, Max Weight: 120kg) Bluetooth Enabled Exercise Spin Bike with Free At Home Installation and Connected Live interactive Sessions by cult sport
About this item
- Through the use of Cultsport athletes streaming live workouts from our cutting-edge fitness studios every morning and evening, Cultsport.Live completely alters your training regimen.
- Connect your bright Tread or spin bike to Cultsport to join the thousands of people who are exercising together.
- All Cultsport users are eligible for a free three-month diet plan, a one-time personal training session, and doctor consultation. Active post-sales and customer support – Free at-home installation services in 650+ cities around India.