A smart switch is a light switch with advanced features that help automate your home. They resemble traditional buttons and plug into the same spaces that conventional outlets are found, except:
- They have radio wave capabilities that allow the switches to connect to a nearby wireless network and become part of the Internet of Things. This makes the devices “smart” and gives them various capabilities, including app or voice control.
- Their design is more complicated. Some may have extra buttons for more specific light control, while others may come with additional sensors or light indicators.
Most people pay little attention to light switches, but that could change if you kit your home or office with intelligent controls. These trendy pieces of technology can be essential parts of a robust system of innovative home hardware.
How do smart switches work?
Smart switches add tech-powered functionality to your home while still fitting into the spaces and back boxes occupied by your existing wall switches, making them incredibly convenient. These switches still work as conventional light switches, but they add clever features like:
- Smart dimmer switch capabilities
- Extra buttons for granular control
- Remote control functionality for altering lights on the move
- Ability to control other appliances and respond to voice commands
You are free to mix and match to your heart’s content. Still, intelligent light-switch functionality boils down to one key concept: It connects to your home WiFi network so that you can control it and any other devices you set up from your Android or iOS phone. The switches will then use this network connection to talk to your smart bulbs and other high-tech gadgets.
Smart switch advantages
There are many reasons to beef up your home with an intelligent switch. Let’s take a look at the top four.
1. Next-level convenience
One of the enormous benefits is also one of the simplest: convenience. Who would not prefer using their smartphone to control their home lighting over getting up from the couch and flipping switches, after all?
Life with intelligent control has never been simpler, whether switching light fixtures on and off or dimming them.
2. Schedule almost everything
Most smart switch apps also let you set up lighting routines. Smart switches often come with scheduling options, so you can set your lights to do different things at different times of the day. Enjoy cozier, soft lighting in the evening, or make your light brighten gently to help you wake up naturally in the morning.
3. Efficiency through tech cooperation
Automation can bring a new era of convenience if you buy a smart switch with particular features or combine intelligent control with other hardware. You could use a smart controller and a motion sensor to make sure that your lights turn on when your car pulls into the driveway. You could even turn on the heat or air conditioning and start a playlist at the exact time you set. This is a helpful feature for coming home from work or a trip. The Eve Button is an excellent choice for these features, and it offers superb integration with other intelligent home devices.
Conversely, you could combine motion sensors and an intelligent switch so that the lights turn off when you leave the house. Many smart controls also work with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit, making connecting them to your other devices more accessible.
4. Save money and improve Security
There are significant advantages beyond convenience. You can save money by making sure your lights are not on when you do not need them with motion sensors and scheduling. They can also make your home safer because thieves are less likely to break in when lights are on. Last, smart switches look sleeker than conventional switches, thanks to better design. If you are thinking about a smart switch, remember that most require a neutral wire to work properly. Most homes have these, but if you live in an ancient building, you may need the relevant wiring.
5. App controls
Smart switches often come with a smart device app based on the brand. You can download this app to control the connected light from a mobile device. This means you do not have to use the switch, although it’s still handy. For example, if you are on vacation, you could turn on your light at home so that people think someone is home.
Although many smart switches do not contain sensors, some do. The two most popular are the motion sensor and the automatic light switch. The motion sensor can tell when someone is moving (which is helpful in offices to save energy), and the touch sensor is used to turn on the light and change how bright it is.
Smart switches to take into account
There are plenty of intelligent switches available at a variety of prices. An entry-level product like the Etekcity Smart WiFi switch offers smartphone control, scheduling, and compatibility with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
One of the most well-known intelligent lighting systems, the Hue system, is connected to the Philips Hue Tap. The Tap has three buttons you can change: touch control, smartphone integration, and kinetic control, which means it doesn’t need batteries. You can even control it from the wall with a remote control. It’s a fantastic product, but this is an example of an intelligent switch that ties into a larger ecosystem because the Hue Tap would not work without a Philips Hue Bridge, for instance.
Here are the top 5 best smart switches in India
HomeMate WiFi+Bluetooth Smart Switch Breaker | 16A, 3200W | Compatible with Alexa and Google Home
About this item
- Smart WiFi Switch: This device is an affordable 2.4G WiFi smart light switch that provides users with smart home control. It enables users to remotely control all the connected appliances via the mobile app “HomeMate Smart.” Perfect for wide input voltage AC 90-250V lamp, ceiling fan, floor light, outdoor landscape lighting, and other appliances not over 16Amp.
Tinxy 16 Amps Smart Switch. Retrofit Smart Switch for Home Automation, Works with existing switches. Compatible with Alexa and Google Home
About this item
- [Scenes/ Scheduler/ Timer included] With the help of a scheduler, you may turn appliances on and off according to a predetermined schedule, saving money on electricity. A timer allows you to turn the ON/OFF of any device after x minutes [Security]. Secure OTP via the app provides 100% security.
- [Installation] Your neighborhood electrician can install the device using the accompanying wiring diagram. [Family Access] You can share this switch with your entire family—no limits on the number of users.
SONOFF Mini R2 10A Smart WiFi Wireless Light Switch, Universal Module for Smart Home Automation Solution, Works with Amazon Alexa & Google Home Assistant, No Hub Required
About this item
- APP Remote Control- You can use the iOS and Android smartphone’s eWeLink APP to operate all SONOFF devices from any location with only a single tap, with no distance restrictions. The device is small, only occupying a little space during installation.
- Compatible with A Rocker Light Switch- Turn on the light without opening the app on your way to the washroom in the evening; press the connected switch
Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Remote (Installation-Free Exclusive for Philips Hue Lights)
About this item
- Use Hue accessories like the Hue Tap or Hue Motion Sensor to integrate them with your Hue home lighting system. We use Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, and Amazon Alexa for voice control.
- This battery-powered dimmer with remote lets you change your lights’ brightness wirelessly and without extra work. However, for the whole Hue experience, you will also need the Hue Hub, which is sold separately.
TEQOOZ® 4-Switch Smart WiFi + Bluetooth Touch Switch (White) (6 Amp Each) | Smart Life App Control I Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, Apple Siri | Glass Finish
About this item
- Hands-free voice control: Teqooz WiFi Switch supports Google Assistant, Apple Siri, and Amazon Alexa (Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap). You may use voice control to operate your devices and enjoy a hands-free experience.
- Glass finish: Great looks & Stylish Aesthetics add Glamour to the Décor of the room.