What is a pulse oximeter?
The pulse oximeter is a test that determines how much oxygen is in the blood (also known as oxygen saturation). It’s a simple, painless test that determines how well oxygen is delivered to body areas farthest from the heart, such as the arms and legs.
A probe, which looks like a clip, is attached to a bodily part like a finger or ear lobe. The probe measures the amount of oxygen in the blood by using light. This data aids a healthcare provider in determining whether a patient requires additional oxygen.
What is the average oxygen level on a pulse oximeter?
The average oxygen saturation level is 95 percent or greater. Normal levels can be as high as 90% in some patients with persistent lung illness or sleep apnea. A pulse oximeter’s “SpO2” value indicates the proportion of oxygen in someone’s blood. Contact your health care practitioner if your home SpO2 level is less than 95 percent.
What are the 3 readings on a pulse oximeter?
The pulse oximeter measures the pulse rate, blood oxygen saturation (SpO2), the perfusion index (PI), and in some of the machines, (not all) the respiratory rate (RR). The pulse rate can generally show a wide variation of 60-110 beats per minute (bpm).
Pulse oximetry is particularly convenient for noninvasive continuous measurement of blood oxygen saturation. In contrast, blood gas levels must otherwise be determined in a laboratory on a drawn blood sample. Pulse oximetry is helpful in any setting where a patient’s oxygenation is unstable, including intensive care, operating, recovery, emergency, and hospital ward settings, pilots in unpressurized aircraft, for assessing any patient’s oxygenation, and determining the effectiveness of or need for supplemental oxygen. Although a pulse oximeter is used to monitor oxygenation, it cannot determine the oxygen metabolism or the amount of oxygen used by a patient. For this purpose, it is necessary to also measure carbon dioxide (CO2) levels. It is possible that it can also be used to detect abnormalities in ventilation. However, using a pulse oximeter to detect hypoventilation is impaired with supplemental oxygen, as it is only when patients breathe room air that abnormalities in respiratory function can be detected reliably with its use. Therefore, the routine administration of supplemental oxygen may be unwarranted if the patient can maintain adequate oxygenation in room air since it can result in hypoventilation going undetected.
Because of their simplicity of use and the ability to provide continuous and immediate oxygen saturation values, pulse oximeters are critical in emergency medicine. They are also handy for patients with respiratory or cardiac problems, especially.
Portable battery-operated pulse oximeters are valid for pilots operating in non-pressurized aircraft above 10,000 feet (3,000 m) or 12,500 feet (3,800 m) in the U.S., where supplemental oxygen is required. Portable pulse oximeters are also useful for mountain climbers and athletes whose oxygen levels may decrease at high.
Connectivity advancements have made it possible for patients to have their blood oxygen saturation continuously monitored without a cabled connection to a hospital monitor, without sacrificing the flow of patient data back to bedside monitors and centralized patient surveillance systems.
For patients with COVID-19, pulse oximetry helps with the early detection of silent hypoxia, in which the patients still look and feel comfortable, but their SpO2 is perilously low. This happens to patients either in the hospital or at home. Low SpO2 may indicate severe COVID-19-related pneumonia, requiring a ventilator.
User guide of pulse oximeter
This lightweight and compact device are here to make your life easier. The Fingertip Pulse Oximeter by Microtek is specially designed to measure Oxygen Saturation, Pulse Rate, and Sp02 in an innovative and non-invasive manner in the comfort of your home. The oximeter is very easy to use and facilitates accurate results with the help of the one-touch power button. Place the finger onto the sensor, and the SpO2 value, oxygen saturation, and pulse rate will be displayed on the screen in no time. This battery-operated device features a large LED screen display to make it easier and more convenient for the user to read the results. The portable construction allows you to carry the oximeter practically everywhere. The device is made from high-quality ABS material and is suitable for everyday use.
Direction of use
- Place the finger on the sensor located on the oximeter
- Press the one-touch power button on the device
- Wait for a few seconds
- The Oxygen Saturation, Pulse Rate, and SpO2 will be displayed on the screen
- Turn the device off after use
- Large LED screen display
- Battery operated device
- Compact, lightweight & portable design
- Measures Oxygen Saturation, Pulse Rate, and SpO2
- Easy to use
- Features one-touch power button
- Easy to read digital display
- Provides accurate & reliable results
Top 5 best pulse oximeters in India
Dr. Trust Professional Series Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter With Audio Visual Alarm and Respiratory Rate(Blue)-202
About this item
- Accurate, fast, and reliable measurements: The Dr. Trust Professional Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter determines your blood oxygen saturation level (SPO2), Perfusion Index, respiratory rate, pulse rate, and pulse bar graph accurately
- Water-resistant IP 22: It is designed to withstand an accidental splash of water. Increasingly higher depths of water will render the product unusable. Please note this is water-resistant and not waterproof.
- Multidirectional OLED screen display: Bright multidirectional OLED display is highly advanced and extensive in size, enabling one to read the measurements even in a dark room. The elders can also scan significant font readings.
- Alarm +other settings: It is a perfect health partner as it comes with adjustable brightness settings, display, and other parameters. It also has alarm settings to switch ON and OFF the sound as per the user’s choice.
- In the box: Package contents include 1 x Finger Oximeter, battery, one lanyard, and user manual.
Fitlastics Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Machine with Dual Color OLED, Alarm Function, SpO2 Oxygen Levels, Heart Rate, Perfusion Index Monitor
About this item
- Accurate & Reliable: Accurately determine your SpO2 (blood oxygen saturation levels), pulse rate, and pulse strength in 10 seconds and display it conveniently on a large digital OLED display.
- OLED Dual Color Display: Dual Color Large Digital OLED display. This helps to view the results.
- Multi-Directional: Rotatable multidirectional display. 4 directions, and six modes, allow you to view your results in any order.
- Alarm Function: Set the alarm and beep according to your needs. There will be a warning once the measured values go beyond the setting. Know it immediately.
- Ready to Use: Includes Pulse Oximeter, 2 x AAA Batteries, Lanyard & Instructions Manual for your convenience.
BPL Medical Technologies Bpl Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Pulse Oxy 02 (White)
About this item
- Low Power Consumption: the oximeter automatically powers off when not in use and delivers up to 20 continuous hours of battery life
- Light and compact, convenient to carry, and suitable for a wide range of finger size
- Auto rotating Display
- Visual and audible alarms alert the user in case of high/low measurement readings.
- Clinical alert function: visual and audible alarm indication Alerts user in case of high/low measurement readings.
- Highly Accurate- Measures the oxygen concentration in the blood with a minimum deviation of +/-2% and measures the pulse rate with a minimum variation of +/-2 bpm
- Product Includes Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, User Manual, 2×AAA 1.5V Alkaline battery, 1 Year Warranty from date of purchase.
- Multi-Direction Display: four directional color OLED display provides a clear view of Spo2, PR, and perfusion index with a plethysmograph
Hesley Pulse Oximeter (SpO2) Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Pulse Rate Measurements and Pulse Bar Graph. OLED Display
About this item
- Very accurate readings – Our pulse oximeter has been clinically tested and consistently beats another pulse oximeter in terms of accuracy and reliability; it is a fast and reliable gadget. It is ideal for oxygen and pulse readings and has a minimal error margin.
- Reliable: The ABS shell, OLED screen, acrylic panel, high-speed computing chips, anti-slip silicone inside, medical-grade silicone finger mold, and various electronic components of all the features and materials used in the oxygen finger monitor are of the highest quality. Thousands of tests have been performed on the spring of the oximeter finger. We will never produce oxygen monitors out of low-cost materials.
- Accessible to useã€‘Alarm function-Auditory alarm to warn you when your SpO2 and Pulse Rate are beyond set limits. In 6-8 seconds, the pulse oximeter fingertip switches off automatically. Included are 2X AAA BATTERIES, a Carrying Case to preserve the finger oximeter from injury and dirt, and a LANYARD for convenience.
- Plethysmography and perfusion index – This tells you if you are taking your SpO2 and Pulse Rate properly. No more second-guessing if the readings are reliable or why the pulse oximeter is not giving you a reading
Newnik Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Audio – PX701 (ROYAL BLUE)
About this item
- Unique Feature: Auto Power On & Off, Water-Resistant, Buzzer- Visual Alarm, Dual Color OLED Display. Four-direction display, Low battery indication
- Quick, Accurate, And Easy To Use – Newly designed monitor gives instant readings of blood oxygen saturation (SpO2), pulse rate(PR), and pulse strength(PI), Plethysmogram and displays them on a large OLED screen. The wavelength display clearly shows inconsistencies. Display rotates in four directions – easily take your measurements or someone else’s
- Out-Of-Box Ready: Includes 2AAA Batteries, Lanyard, Instruction Manual, Quality checked certificate
- Individually Tested For Accuracy: Each device undergoes rigorous testing and is approved for use by the FDA & CE carries one year warranty.
- Country of Origin: India