Swimming is the phrase used to describe the activity of moving through the water with one’s entire body. Swimming, in other words, is the movement of the human body through water. Swimming is an important sport and a good exercise. Everybody should enjoy it as it has various health benefits. Swimming increases metabolism and helps energize your body and mind. Doctors suggest swimming to patients after surgery because the density of water takes the pressure off of their bones and joints, which helps them recover without additional pain. It is the only exercise like it. Additionally, swimming is the only exercise that affects the entire body. There are a great many benefits of swimming, such as:
- It maintains your heart rate and takes away the stress from the body.
- It builds muscular strength and increases immunity.
- It exercises your lungs and helps to keep you fit.
- It helps to burn calories which in turn reduces weight
- It is the only physical activity that involves and tones all of the body’s muscles.
Is swimming better than the gym?
Swimming is both a competitive and recreational activity. If you want to build cardiovascular fitness and endurance, then swimming will be your best bet compared to hitting the gym. Lifting weights at the gym doesn’t make much cardiovascular fitness and endurance.
The right age to teach a child swimming in India:
The best time for a child to start learning swim basics is between 1 and 4. One should not begin swimming lessons until the kids turn four years old.
6 Types of swimming:
- Dog Paddle. The dog paddle is often the first stroke a young swimmer learns; the dog paddle is very basic, easy to understand, and keeps your head above the water for easy breathing.
Dog Paddle: A dog paddle or doggy paddle is also a basic swimming technique. You float in the water in a more or less horizontal position, keep your head above the water surface, and look forward. Your legs do a flutter kick, and you paddle along and downwards with your arms.
Backstroke: A swimming stroke generated by combining a kick in which the legs are pulled forward with the knees together, the feet are spun outward and whipped back with a glissade, and a rearward far-flung movement of the arms in a prone position.
- Freestyle: Technically, freestyle introduces a style of swimming in which the swimmer has the freedom to choose their stroke
- Sidestroke: A swimming stroke that is executed by the side and in which the arms are swept in separate strokes towards the feet and downward, and the legs do a scissors kick.
- Breaststroke: In the prone posture, both hands move forward, outward, and backward simultaneously from in front of the chest, while the legs move in a frog kick.
- Butterfly: Using an up-and-down leg action, move forward out of the water and then down through the water in a circular pattern.
Some general tips for swimming:
- Make sure you can swim.
- Choose a safe place and ensure children’s water safety.
- Warm-up and stretch your muscles and joints before entering the pool.
- Keep enough water on hand and drink regularly.
- If you’re just getting started, don’t overdo it.
Accessories, And Apparel Used In Swimming:
Swimming Costume: It is necessary to wear a proper swimming costume to start your swimming exercise. Put a one-piece, sleeveless swimsuit as this was ideal for helping me learn my kicks and strokes with freedom of movement and ease. For men, it is apt to wear tight-fit swimming trunks to help with leg movements. Board shorts are not put forward as they can get heavy and drag in the water.
Swimming Goggles: To open eyes underwater, swimming goggles were required. You gain confidence by opening your eyes since you can securely navigate past other swimmers. Goggles also protect against chlorine and other human waste-related eye illnesses. A variety of swimming goggles are available in the market, depending on your size and comfort level.
Swim Cap: A swim cap is a must-have item. A swim cap will make your workout more enjoyable. It reduces drag in the water and allows you to swim faster. Swim hats may not keep your hair dry, but they do give a layer of protection from chlorine damage. You can wear a mesh cap, a silicone cap, or a silicon mesh cap.
Kickboard: A kickboard helped to focus the legs and hips as a beginner swimmer and assured appropriate footwork as we launched them into the water. We didn’t have to concentrate on the arms and could instead focus on the legs. Breathing exercises were also made easier by using a kickboard.
Swim Fins: Swimming with fins is quick and enjoyable. This increased water speed and provided adequate resistance for a complete leg workout. To tighten your thighs and glutes, use swim fins.
Microfiber Towel: This towel’s microfiber material makes it highly absorbent and quickly dry as soon as you dab your body with it.
Top 5 swimming accessories:
Royals Hub Premium Big Frame Competition Swim Goggles with Free Protective Case Pro Clear Lens & Wide-Vision Swimming Goggles with UV and Anti Fog Protection for Adult Men Women – Assorted Colour
Cloyster Swim Goggles Swimming Goggles 180° Ultra-Wide Vision No Leaking Anti Fog UV Protection Earplugs for Adult Kid Men Women
TYR Kaleidoscope Swim Cap
Sisliya Back Float Swimming Belt Water Aerobics Exercise Aqua Fitness Swim Training Equipment Board with Adjustable Layers for Kids Swimming Beginners|| Multi
IRIS Swim Safe Training Tool Swimming Board Float Kickboard for Kids and Adults Suitable for Swimming Pool, Beach, Size: 42cm29cm28mm (LxWXH)
Essential of a good swimming pool:
It is essential to have a pool shell, i.e., the pool floors and the walls, to be structurally sound. The pool shell must be planned and made to have good water tightness. This condition must be followed when the pool is full or partially filled.
The best place for swimming in India:
Somnath Beach, West Gujarat
Tarkarli Beach, Maharashtra
Ganpatipule Beach, Maharashtra
Mandrem Beach, North Goa
Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach, Kannur, Kerala
Dhanushkodi Beach, Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu
Yarada Beach, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
Health benefits of swimming:
- It keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body. Support, muscle strength, and cardiovascular fitness are all improved. It helps you maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart, and lungs. Tones muscles and builds strength.
- Swimming prevents stroke, coronary heart disease, and high blood pressure.
- Swimming Burns More Calories than Jogging
- Swimming is Good for Asthma
Other benefits of swimming:
Swimming has so many other benefits, including:
- Give a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise.
- alleviating stress
- Improves coordination, balance, and posture
- Improves elasticity
- Provides good low-impression therapy for some injuries and conditions
- It gives a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day.
- Being available in many places – you can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams, and rivers.
Longest swimming record in India?
Khushi Ajit Parmar of Kolhapur, Maharashtra, swam continuously for 6 hours 32 minutes, starting from 9:40 am and ending at 4:12 pm, in V.A. Ghatge Lake, Kagal, Kolhapur, on December 10, 2014.
Who is the fastest swimmer in India?
‘Virdhawal Vikram Khadeis, an Indian swimmer. He competed in the men’s 50, 100, and 200 meters Freestyle swimming events at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, setting an Indian national record in 100 meters Freestyle.
Swimming is relatively unpopular. More people cannot swim even a little than those who can. The number of persons who can swim properly is even lower. According to studies, just about 40% of Americans can swim even a few yards, while about 4 billion people globally cannot swim.