Like a tampon, menstrual cups are a feminine hygiene tool used internally to collect menstrual fluid. The bell-shaped cup is most frequently constructed of silicone or latex rubber, and some models incorporate a stem for more straightforward insertion and removal. Both reusable and one-time-use models are available. With proper maintenance, reusable mugs can survive for many years. Several brands offer different sizes, many of which are sold at large retailers, depending on your age and whether you’ve given birth before.
How to use a Menstrual Cup?
Speaking with your doctor before transitioning to a menstrual cup can be beneficial. You must first identify your size because several feminine hygiene companies provide menstrual cups in various sizes. To accomplish that, you and your gynecologist must take the following into account:
- Your age
- The length of your cervix
- Whether or not you have a heavy or light period
- The capacity of the cup
- The menstruation cup’s hardness and suppleness
- Your pelvic floor muscles strength
Typically, there are two sizes of menstrual cups: small and large; use smaller-sized cups if you are under 30 years old. The larger-sized cups are best for you if you are older than 30, have frequent or heavy periods, or give birth vaginally. Unless you have previously used a tampon, you may initially find using the device uncomfortable. However, with the proper technique and a little practice, you can learn how to use a menstrual cup correctly.
Benefits of using a Menstrual Cup?
Menstrual cups come with the following benefits:
- A menstrual cup can last a long time. However, doctors recommend replacing your cup yearly to reduce the risk of irritation or infection from its material.
- Buying a menstrual cup will cost less than the total amount spent on tampons and sanitary napkins yearly. Every five to six hours, tampons and sanitary napkins must be changed.
- You can use menstrual cups for up to 12 hours without changing them or being concerned about leaks.
- Menstrual cups can hold five times as much blood as sanitary napkins and tampons.
- When inserted correctly, a menstrual cup will significantly reduce your chances of leakage. In your intimate area, sanitary napkins can cause rashes and irritation. Menstrual cups eliminate this possibility.
- When using tampons, you must be careful to balance the absorbency with your blood flow, whereas menstrual cups are made to manage all stages of your blood flow.
- Unlike tampons and sanitary napkins, you do not have to be concerned about leakage or frequently changing your menstrual cup at night.
- Eco-friendly- One of the significant advantages of using menstrual cups is that they are eco-friendly. It even endures for a very long period, so you won’t be harming the environment or wildlife in any way.
- Budget-friendly- Even though one menstrual cup may cost you more than tampons and sanitary napkins, you only pay a one-time price. On the other hand, other feminine hygiene products must be purchased continually, adding to the total cost.
- Safer than other feminine hygiene products-Menstrual, cups collect blood instead of absorbing it, which makes them safer and lowers your risk of bacterial infections like toxic shock syndrome.
- It can be used while having sexual intercourse- Before sexual contact, reusable menstruation cups must be removed. The soft disposable cups may remain there as you engage in sexual activity. Your partner won’t feel the cup inside you; thus, there would not be any leaking for you, and it will be a pleasant encounter.
- Holds more blood- A menstrual cup can hold up to two to three ounces of blood, while a tampon is only capable of holding a third of an ounce. This implies that you can wear a menstrual cup longer than conventional feminine hygiene items.
Although inexpensive and environmentally friendly, menstrual cups still have some drawbacks that you should be aware of before converting to one.
- Finding the right fit may be tricky– Finding the proper fit can be challenging because menstruation cups come in many sizes, and every woman may require a different size. You might need to test various brands and cup sizes first to obtain the perfect fit.
- Difficult to insert and remove- You may have trouble getting the menstrual cup into your vagina or getting it out properly, which can hurt and be uncomfortable.
- Allergic reactions to the menstrual cup- Menstrual cups are an excellent alternative for those who have latex allergies because many of them are constructed from latex-free materials. However, the rubber and silicone substances can sometimes lead to allergic reactions in some women, which can be extremely painful and uncomfortable.
- Chances of vaginal irritation- The menstrual cup can irritate your vagina if it is not thoroughly cleaned after use. Without lubrication, inserting it could be painful and uncomfortable.
How to care for a Menstrual Cup?
Menstrual cups are simple to clean because they contain medical-grade silicone or latex. When buying the cup, it should come with clear instructions for maintenance. In most cases, the cup can be cleaned after usage during the menstrual cycle by rinsing or wiping it down. After your procedure, menstrual cups should be washed with soap and water. Additionally, you can sterilize them in hot water.
Menstrual cups are more affordable and environmentally responsible than tampons and other feminine products when menstruating. Before making a move, you can assess the benefits and drawbacks of a menstrual cup. If you are still hesitant, you can first discuss your alternatives and whether a menstrual cup could be the best choice for you with your gynecologist.
Here are the top 5 best Menstrual Cups for Women
Evereve Menstrual Cup for Women – Medium Size with Pouch, Silicone body, Odour and Rash Free, No Leak, Protection for Up to 10-12 Hours, FDA Approved
About this item
- The extra-soft menstruation cups provide long-lasting protection and guarantee that there will be no itchiness, period odor, rashes, or dryness (usually caused by sanitary pads). Enjoy 8 to 10 hours of leak-free, comfortable, and safe protection.
- A snug fit and a leak-free experience are guaranteed by the soft touch of silicone’s rounded edges, lack of sharp points, and broader, flexible rib. A smaller removal tip is preferable over longer ones that could irritate the vaginal wall’s delicate skin because they don’t rub against it as much.
everteen® Menstrual Cup for Women- 1pc (Large, 30ml) with storage pouch- 12 hours Leak-Proof Protection. Have a period with no smell, no discomfort
About this item
- No menstrual odor, dryness, discomfort, itching, or rashes
- Reusable for as long as ten years and provides 12-hour leak proof-protection against menstrual fluid
- Sneezing won’t cause flooding or other natural calamities. Less need for removal and replacement
Carmesi Menstrual Cup for Women | Small Size – With Free Pouch | 8-10 hours of Leaks-Free Comfort | 100% Biocompatible Medical-Grade Silicone Cups | Economical & Sustainable
About this item
- 8-10 hours of no-leak comfort: Exercise, dance, or swimming are all acceptable activities. With no concern for leakage, the menstrual cup enables you to forget that you have a period.
- Economical: A menstruation cup is a highly economical choice that can last you for five years. Therefore, you won’t need to purchase period supplies monthly.
Sirona Reusable Menstrual Cup for Women | Medium Size with Pouch | Pack of 2 | Ultra Soft, Odour and Rash Free | 100% Medical Grade Silicone | No Leakage | Protection for Up to 8-10 Hours | FDA Approved
About this item
- Variable sizing: Three distinct sizes of menstrual cups are offered by Sirona.
- The two MEDIUM size menstrual cups in this box are perfect for women between the ages of 25 and 35 who have given birth and have a regular to heavy period.
- Leak proof: No matter how much you move, the menstrual cup’s flexible rim produces a vacuum seal that prevents leaks and spills. Even when swimming, dancing, participating in sports, or on a trip, you can use the menstrual cup to protect yourself from your period.
Pee Safe Menstrual Hygiene Combo Reusable Menstrual Cups (Large) & Menstrual Cup Wash With Feminine Intimate Wash 105ml | All Day Long Freshness | Period Care
About this item
- After purchasing the cup, you are free from having to think about it for the following five years.
- It’s secure since you won’t be discarding tampons or pads every fifth day of the month. The cup can be worn while you sleep and throughout the day.
- It is incredibly cozy, safe, and leak-proof. Our production facility is clean and sterile. Since the cup is constructed entirely of medical-grade silicone, it is devoid of dangerous chemicals like latex and BPA. To ensure its safety, it has undergone comprehensive testing.