What is a Salad Spinner?
The salad spinner is a straightforward yet ingenious device for washing and drying fresh greens. The lid has a handle that, when spun, uses centrifugal force to gently but effectively push the water off the greens. Water can drain from the inside of the basket’s contents; the outer bowl gathers the water and maintains the basket. Although sending your lettuce on a carousel may seem absurd, there is a method to the madness.
The benefits of a Salad Spinner
The benefit of making a salad from dry leaves is that salad dressing does not slide off damp salad greens and does not collect in the bottom of the salad bowl. You will get more flavor with less sauce (and fewer calories!) if salad greens are washed and thoroughly dried before tossing your salad with dressing. And although we lived pretty happily before owning a salad spinner, we find it very versatile, making many kitchen chores easy to do. For example, we all know that to get rid of excess moisture in eggplants or zucchini, you must pre-salt them. This is when you want them to develop a subtle brown crust while getting all soft and juicy from the inside. In such a case, I use my salad spinner. You put the whole heap of eggplant cubes or grated zucchini inside, close the lid and start spinning. One can extract up to a half cup of liquid from one eggplant, depending on freshness.
- It significantly reduces drying time.
- Dried leaf greens of any size dry equally well; you name it: romaine lettuce, spinach, arugula, watercress, etc.
- They incorporate drying and washing into one process.
- They don’t hurt, bruise, or harm lettuce or other greens.
- Berries can be washed and dried using them without suffering any injury.
- It can be used to clean and dry broccoli, cabbage, etc.
How does a Salad Spinner work?
Fresh lettuce, herbs, and other leaves that grow close to the ground can end up with dirt, sand, bugs, and different kinds of grit nestled into their folds. Of course, the greens must be washed before you can eat them—after all, nobody wants that kind of unpleasant surprise in their salad. Before adding the greens to a salad, they must be dehydrated; if they are not, the dressing will not cling to the leaves, and you will end up with a sad, soggy mess on your plate.
The tricky part is that lettuces and herbs are very delicate and can easily get bruised and smashed when handled. The salad spinner is specially designed to treat your products with a white glove. First, place the salad in the basket nestled in the bowl, and then fill the bowl with water. Soaking the greens in water allows the grit to settle to the bowl’s bottom without any rubbing or jostling from the cook. After the contents rinse clean, you can put on the bowl’s lid and spin, spin, and spin until no more water comes off the leaves—no towel-drying necessary. The result is clean; vibrant greens shine in your favorite salad.
Types of Salad Spinners
The way the salad spinners are spun distinguishes them. The two most common types today are pump-action spinners, which use a plunger, and handle-crank spinners. Some units use a pull string or a pull handle. Most machines let you turn the basket while adding water.
Some have locking lids, allowing you to drain them without taking the cap off. Remember that it is ideal for soaking your vegetables three or more times, draining after each soak. If possible, you can use spinning to agitate the greens while soaking. Otherwise, you can wash them in the basket placed inside the bowl. Many units have clear plastic bowls, which can double as serving bowls.
Here are the top 5 best salad spinners
Excluzo Large Salad Spinner 5 L Vegetable or Lettuce Dryer Keeper Crisper
About this item
- A Quick Salad Spinner Our spinner is a must-have for any kitchen.
- It is perfect for quick drying your cabbage, vegetables, fruits, and salad ingredients. Removes extra water with a fast spin.
- Elegant Handle Enjoy effortless operation with the easy-to-spin rotary handle.
- The basket can be used independently as a colander and is ideal for presenting in a stylish glass bowl.
MOH Salad Spinner with Handle and Non-Slip Base Vegetable Drain Basket Blue
About this item
- Simple operation: Wind the handle to dry washed vegetables.
- Easy to clean: its various parts can be detached for easier cleaning and storage.
- Package Includes: 1 Piece Salad Spinner
- Please read the product description before purchasing.
Joseph Joseph Multi-Prep 4-Piece Preparation Set with Salad Spinner, Spiralizer, Slicer and Grater, One Size, Multicolor.
About this item
- It includes a finger guard for safe slicing and a spiralizing—a non-slip base. Hand washes only. Caution: sharp blades—handle with care. Keep your fingers away from the edges during use and cleaning. Keep it out of children’s reach.
- It is not suited for keeping food; it is only for use in food preparation.
- Accessories stack neatly inside the main bowl for compact storage.
Scott evil New Handy Ring Chopper 2 in 1 with Sturdy Blades Design for Chopping Vegetables Fruits Nuts Egg Whisk Salad Spinner Useful for Your Kitchen
About this item
- Mince large chunks of ice, fruit, vegetables, boneless meats, herbs, and nuts by hand.
- Easy, handy, and manual chopping, it’s ideal for multi-preparation food like onions, garlic, nuts, and so on. A vital kitchen appliance for seasoning food and preparing quick snacks.
- Perfect for a smooth and blended batter, egg beats, pancakes, waffles, and crepes. The Mini Salad Spinner acts as a lettuce dryer, designed with a few presses or pushes, making the vegetables dry faster.
MSA Multifunctional Salad Cutter Bowl | Vegetable Fruits Cutter Bowl | Salad Maker Kitchen Tools | Fast Fresh Salad Slicer (Multicolor, 1 PC)
About this item
- Perfect & unique design: They may be set up for an ideal cross-cut by using the top as a filter to wash your lettuce and the cover as a cutting board. Rotate the lid to suit the slot to cut your lettuce into smaller pieces.
- No more cutting each ingredient separately: Save time and effort by chopping the tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, onion, and other ingredients together so that you may enjoy your fresh salad more quickly.
- Safe & Durable: Made of premium ABS materials that offer strength and resilience, food-grade material, and BPA-free. You don’t need to be concerned that your health will be in danger.