A stand mixer is a kitchen robot’s primary duties include mixing, kneading, and beating materials. As a result, you mainly utilize it to prepare baked items like pies, cakes, and bread dough.
Types of the stand mixer
Stand mixer – A stand mixer stands on your countertop. It usually comes with a matching mixing bowl. The KitchenAid Stand Mixer is the best-known stand mixer, which is loved for its functions and its myriad color choices. Stand mixers are dense and packed with powerful motors. They are also available in several styles.
Mini Tilt-Head Stand Mixers – Mini stand mixers are efficient and portable motors that can manage small quantities for a few individuals in tiny flats.
Tilt-Head Stand Mixers – This stand mixer offers a medium profile and a large bowl for standard kitchens and large families. Designed to tilt the motorhead, it gives you easy access to the bowl and beater, allowing you to add ingredients and easily swap accessories.
Bowl-Lift Stand Mixers – Bowl-lift stand mixers are robust and offer firm stability for large batches. Instead of tilting back, these mixers utilize a smooth lever that lifts the bowl into position beneath the beater accessory.
Hand Mixers – Hand mixers are lightweight, portable devices that let you quickly move your mixing operation to any spot in the kitchen. They also allow for mixing in any more giant bowls you may own. They are great for quick tasks and can be easily stowed in a cabinet or large drawer.
Buying guide for stand mixer
Bowl Size and Capacity – Mixer bowls come in various sizes, but the standard sizes are 4.5 to 5.5 quarts. If you are a professional baker or a home chef, you can find 6-quart mixers as well.
You can also find bowls made of other materials like glass, metal, and ceramic. You will find the perfect style with various colors and textures to suit your kitchen decor.
Most mixers will come with paddles, whisks, and dough hook attachments.
- The flat beater attachment is for cake batter, cookie dough, and mashed potatoes.
- Also called a balloon whisk or wire whip, these attachments help make whipped cream, frosting, and meringues.
- This attachment is C-shaped or spiral and is used for bread and doughs that require kneading.
The design of the beaters also contributes to their overall performance. Old-style beaters were made with a thick post down the center, while the best modern models usually feature two slender beaters of thin, stainless steel wire.
The new design options work better and are easier to clean. Some mixers offer a “planetary action” beater motion, which follows an elliptical path for uniform mixing.
Speed – Stand mixers offer up to 16 speeds, while hand mixers offer up to nine. The slowest pace is essential for adding dry ingredients without creating a dust storm or splattering. Some hand mixers offer an ingenious “soft” or “slow start” feature in which the selected speed is gradually attained.
Power – The minimum capacity should be 175 watts for a hand mixer. However, you can find mixers with higher wattages, reaching anywhere from 550 to 1000 watts. If you invest in a more powerful mixer, food preparation tasks such as kneading dough or mixing dense ingredients can be done in record time.
Locking Power Heads – Make sure you close the powerhead in the “up” position for stand mixers. Otherwise, the heavy dough could pull the beater into the bowl and create a mess. Similarly, ensure your mixer can lock down so the beater doesn’t tire when beating stiff dough.
Stability – Stand mixers are built heavy to maintain peace, but hand mixers need an underside indentation to perch on the bowl’s edge.
Comfort – A mixer should be sturdy and durable. Hand mixers should be light enough to hold comfortably for 5 to 10 minutes. Two pounds is a good weight for most people. It’s more comfortable to have handles inclined toward the mixer’s front instead of parallel to the mixer’s body. They are designed to reduce the strain on your forearms. If you are left-handed, a model with a swivel cord will make the machine easier to maneuver. Make sure your stand mixer isn’t too heavy to lift if you intend to place it on a counter with limited space.
Cleaning – Hand mixers are significantly more straightforward to clean than stand mixers because you can pop out the attachment. These days, many accessories are dishwasher safe, minus the mixing bowl. Make sure to find a mixer without seams on the underside. Surfaces should be smooth with no ingredient-trapping cracks or crevices. Models with touchpad controls are easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth after use.
When to chill the bowl?
The bowl and the wire whip should be chilled for at least 15 minutes before whipping cream. The cream will beat much faster with a chilled bowl.
Recipes to make in a stand mixer
- Cakes: If you have ever wondered how difficult it would be to make your wedding cake, most people purchase a cake stand mixer. A mixer makes layer cakes and torte recipes simpler.
- Meringue: Egg whites left over from one cooking project can be used to make a gorgeous angel food cake or a pavlova for dessert, which is formed of baked sweetened meringue.
- Frosting: Make chocolate frosting using powdered sugar, butter, and cocoa powder.
- Whipped cream: Oversee your stand mixer since it only takes a few seconds to create homogeneous, flawless whipped cream.
- Bread and rolls: Yeast doughs are accessible for a heavy-duty stand mixer. Make your rolls for Thanksgiving, an easy sheet pan focaccia, or try your hand at a seeded rye bread.
- Aquafaba: When whisked into semi-soft peaks, the liquid leftover from canned cooked chickpeas works wonderfully as an alternative to egg white. Unbelievable, but true!
Here are the top 5 best stand mixers
INALSA Stand Mixer Professional Mix Master- Heavy Duty 1200 Watt Pure Copper Motor| 5.5L SS Bowl| Metal Gears for Extra Stability| Includes Whisking Cone, Mixing Beater & Dough Hook, (Red)
About this item
- Powerful processing: The Mix Master Stand Mixer has a powerful 1200 W 100% Copper Motor and multiple functions to meet your cooking demands.
- Enjoy multiple baking sessions: With the enormous 5.5-liter stainless steel bowl with the Mix Master, you will never run out of room, even for large requirements.
- Use as per your requirement: With 8 Level Speed Control and pulse function, you can use the stand mixer precisely as per your requirements to turn out the perfect dishes.
AGARO Royal Stand 1000W Mixer with 5L SS Bowl and 8 Speed Setting, Includes Whisking Cone, Mixing Beater & Dough Hook, and Splash Guard, 2 Years Warranty, (Black), Medium (33554)
About this item
- The 1W motor with 1% copper winding has a multi-functional feature to cater to all your kitchen needs.
- Your stand mixer is a robust companion for your kitchen’s beating, whisking, and doughing needs.
- The product comes with a splash guard, which lets you keep your kitchen clean and non-messy while the mixer perfectly blends dough or whisks.
iBELL 6650S Stand Mixer with Juicer & Meat Grinder, 1300Watts, 6 Speed Control, Multi-Function Electric Food Mixer with Tilt-Up Head & 6.5 L Steel Bowl for Whipping | Kneading | Blending | Mincing | Egg Beating | Juice Making (Black)
About this item
- Ibel Multi-Functional Electric Food Standing Machine with Stainless Steel Bowl
- Power: 1300 Watts and Stainless Steel Bowl 6.5 Litre Capacity
- Illuminated 6 Speed Control Knob and Anti-Slip Food Pad
Wonderchef Crimson Edge Stand Mixer and Beater | 4.5L SS Bowl | 300W Motor | 5 Speed Settings | Includes Mixing Beater & Dough Hook attachments & Spatula | 2 Yrs Warranty | Red | Kitchen Stand Mixer
About this item
- Make sufficient dough for 4-5/4 gms loaves, 12 dozen cookies or biscuits, and 14-15 beaten egg whites or whipped cream.
- Capacity: 4.5 liters
- Warranty: 2 years
- Power: 3 watts; Operating Voltage: 22–22 volts
Rossmann Professional Stand Mixer, Powerful 1400 Watts, 100% Pure Copper Motor, 4 Safety Features, Metal Gears & Planetary Rotation, 5.5 Lit SS Bowl, Teflon Coated Accessories, 2 Years Warranty, Black
About this item
- Power: A high-end 8830 pure copper motor rated at 1400 watts powers the Rossmann Electric Stand Mixer, which has a long service life and provides a solid ability to meet most of your requirements for a kitchen mixer.
- Planetary movement: This stand mixer has a Premium Quality All Metal-Gear Planetary Movement for the best mixing results and a longer lifespan.