Germs are always ready to infect you and they are everywhere! They are ready to contaminate your hands and items you touch during daily activities which can make you and the people around you sick. Cleaning hands regularly with soap and water or hand sanitizer is one of the most effective ways to avoid getting sick and spreading germs in your community.
The benefits of hand sanitizer and their effect on our skin is something that you must understand when coronavirus is killing people all around you. You must use alcohol-based hand sanitizer these days although it was once considered a skin irritant by many experts because of the alcohol content.
The majority of alcohol-based hand sanitizing products can get rid of germs by 99.9%. The million bacteria in your hands can make you sick if you do not wash your hands properly. Hand sanitizers provide a quick and easy solution to kill these germs.
But did you know that hand sanitizers do more than just killing germs? To now about how haw sanitizers work and what are their benefits, keep reading!
How hand sanitizers work.
Before you start using one, you must know how hand sanitizers work. Studies suggest that the alcohol in hand sanitizers kills disease-causing pathogens by ripping up their cells and proteins from the inside. Hand sanitizers with 70% alcohol, even hand sanitizer gel, and other solutions with less than 30% alcohol are capable of disinfecting your hands effectively.
How to use hand sanitizers.
No soap and no water nearby? Don’t worry if you have a small bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket or purse. In such a situation, it is best to rely on a waterless hand sanitizer. WHO recommends anything that contains at least 60% alcohol and can help you disinfect your hands and prevent viruses and bacteria from making you sick.
How much hand sanitizer you need.
A ½ a teaspoon of any hand sanitizing lotion or gel taken on your palm is enough to sanitize your hands properly. Simply rub it across the surface evenly until the product reaches and covers every bit of your hands and dries completely.
Benefits of Hand Sanitizers
The coolest benefit of using a hand sanitizer is that it is portable. All the popular hand sanitizers available in the market usually come in small bottles that easily fit into your bag or even your pocket. This makes them highly useful for people who travel a lot.
And, unlike soap, you don’t need water to use hand sanitizer, which allows you to clean your hands literally anywhere. Simply take the bottle out of your pocket or bag, take some on your palm, rub, rub, rub, and let it dry.
We all know that sanitizers kill germs, but how efficiently?. You may ask how effective they are, and how clean they actually keep your hands. If the number 99% doesn’t satisfy you, be rest assured that the hand sanitizer you have is one of the best ways to keep your hands clean.
Research suggests that people who use hand sanitizers are less likely to get stomach infections and are less likely to spread coronavirus infection. Children who use hand sanitizers have less infection and go to school regularly.
3. Avoid dry, flaky skin
If dry skin bothers you, hand sanitizers may be the answer. But if you feel that sanitizers are skin irritants because they contain alcohol, then you must look for sanitizers that do not contain alcohol. Hand sanitizers that are alcohol-free can give you softer and smoother skin. An alcohol-free hand sanitizer doesn’t leave you with that annoying dry skin feeling.
4. Ideal for public use
Public places like an office, school, or market, is the breeding ground for many harmful germs. People get contaminated easily as it is easy for germs to pass on from one person to the other. While it may not be convenient to install a sink in most areas, you can easily install a hand sanitizer with a holder.
Installing a sanitizer bottle with a holder at entry and exit points of crowded areas is not very difficult. It allows people to clean their hands when needed. This arrangement stops the spread of germs significantly.
5. Motivates you to maintain your hygiene
Frequent use of hand sanitizers increases your chance of avoiding infection. When you hardly fall sick, you are less likely to miss work. Cleaning hands adequately and regularly can actually improve productivity and reduce absenteeism at work by 40%. Research suggests that employees who use hand sanitizers are healthier, happier, and more motivated for work. Hence, they work in a more efficient and productive manner.
When to use sanitizers
If soap and water not available, you may use an alcohol based hand sanitizer –
- Before, and after cooking
- Before eating and drinking
- Before and after caring for sick people
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
- After touching garbage
- If your hands are visibly dirty or greasy
- Before and after using the toilet
- After changing diapers, or cleaning up a child
- After touching your pet, or any animal, or animal waste
- After handling pet food or pet treats.
Indeed, hand sanitizers do much more than just keeping your hands clean. This convenient method of sanitizing your hands can keep a whole community happy and healthy.
Here is a list of the top 10 hand sanitizers selling on Amazon:
Savlon Surface Disinfectant Spray Sanitizer, Germ Protection on Hard & Soft Surfaces, 170g (230ml)
- Savlon Surface Disinfectant Spray protects your family by providing an effective germ-kill
- Kills a wide range of virus, bacteria, molds & fungi
- Incredibly versatile with a fresh & pleasant smell. Can be used on a wide variety of hard and soft surfaces around your home
- Kills 99.99% germs around the home including antibiotic resistant germs
- Disinfect high-traffic surfaces such as Tables, Door Knobs, Chairs, keys, packages etc with one easy spray
- Directions for use: Shake can well and spray on surface to disinfect. Allow to air dry. No need to wipe
Dettol Disinfectant Sanitizer Spray for Germ Protection on Hard & Soft Surfaces, Spring Blossom, 225ml
Protection: Protects from 100 illness causing germs
For Hard & Soft Surface: Alcohol (denatured) surface Disinfectant spray for everyday home hygiene
Disinfectant: Anti-bacterial Disinfectant spray cleaner leaves behind spring fresh fragrance
Doctor Recommended: All Dettol products are recommended by the Indian Medical Association (IMA)
Distance: Hold spray 15-20 cm from pre cleaned surface and spray surface until covered with mist
Tri-Activ Disinfectant Spray for Multi-Surfaces | 70% Alcohol-Based – 230 ml – Pack of 2
- Disinfectant Spray for Multi-Surfaces
- Triple protection against virus, bacteria and germs
- No Need to Wipe. Can be used on a wide variety of hard & soft surfaces
- Kills 99.9% of Illness Causing Germs
- Effective on mould & fungi, Leaves behind a pleasant fresh fragrance
Lifebuoy Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer 500ml (Packaging may Vary)
- Lifebuoy Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer has over 60% alcohol content and gives you instant germ protection
- Lifebuoy Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer kills 99.9% bacteria and virus without water
- Lifebuoy Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer has Glycerine, it leaves your skin feeling moisturised
- Apply enough Hand sanitiser gel on your palm. Spread and rub over the back of your hands thoroughly and fingertips until completely dry before touching other surfaces
- Lifebuoy Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer also comes in a convenient easy to carry pack that helps protect you when out of home
- Packaging may vary in the form of cap, pump, nozzle etc
Asian Paints Viroprotek Advanced Liquid Hand Sanitizer (Clove oil Fortified)-500ml
- 75% Alcohol Content
- 99.9% Germ Kill (as tested by NABL accredited laboratory)
- Patented Formula reinforced with clove oil
- Safe on skin
NutriGlow Advanced Organics Combo of 2 70%(v/v) Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer Liquid hand rub for Disinfectant Hand/Gentle Spray/Deep Cleanse 500ml Each
- Package Contains – 2 Disinfectant Hand Rub 500ml Each
- Reduces Bacterial Count On Hand & Body- Apart from reducing acne scars, this hand & body sanitizer precisely targets the bad bacteria & eliminates them, preventing the different type of bacterial & viral infections.
- Alcoholic Defense for Bacteria & Viruses- Our alcoholic concentrated sanitizer not only kills & eliminates the existing bacteria from the hands & body but also makes a defensive layer all-around the skin to beat back germs securing your well-being.
- Supplies Optimum Oxygen to Skin- Olive extracts supplies bountiful amount of oxygen to skin cells naturally that prevent the birth of catastrophic bacteria on the hands & body.
- No Parabens & No Sulfates- This hand & body sanitizer from NutriGlow is prepared by combining authentic ingredients from the valley of nature to protect your skin from viruses, bacteria & germs adroitly.
Maxkleen Disinfectant Surface Sanitizer by Wipro, 500ml (Pack of 2)
- Removes tough stains without any residue
- Leaves a pleasant floral fragrance
- Safe to use on all surfacesL Ceramic, Mosaic, Granite, Marble, etc
- Kills 99.9% Germs – As per standard laboratory test on select bacteria and fungi and basis literature on various germs
Dr Rhazes 70% Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer Spray (250 ML) (Pack of 3)
- Kills 99.9% Virus and Bacteria
- Safe and Gentle on Skin
- Rinse free
- Safe on surfaces
- Kills germs without water
WellCare Hand Sanitizer Spray, 500ml | Mint & Lemon | WHO Recommended 80% Alcohol
- WellCare Hand Sanitizer Spray contains 80% extra-neutral Ethyl Alcohol that kills 99.9% disease causing germs and bacteria.
- Non-sticky, Moisturizing formula keeps your hands soft.
- Mint & Lemon extracts leave your hands smelling refreshingly fragrant.
- Handy, compact and easy to carry around.
- How to use: Hold 10 cm away from hands and spray. Rub hands together, ensuring that the sanitizer moistens the entire surface area.
Luxor Nano Pen Hand Sanitizer Spray Twin Pack (Alcohol Based) – Lemon Zest – 10 ml X 2 (20 ml) – Pack of 2
- Luxor Nano Pen Spray Hand Sanitizer Provides Instant “On-the-Go” Superior Protection for your hands
- Luxor Nano Pen Spray Hand Sanitizer is made with WHO Recommended alcohol-based formula which is antibacterial
- Luxor Nano Pen Spray Hand Sanitizer comes in a convenient easy to carry Pen design that helps protect you when out of home. You can keep it in your pocket, or clip it with your belt loop or bag loop to keep it handy wherever you go.
- Value For Money pack contains two Pen Sprayers which give up to 100 sprays* per pen spray. Stay protected for up to 200 instances with this twin pack
- Refreshing Smell: The pen spray hand sanitizer imparts a fresh lemon zest fragrance. Therefore, not only do you get sanitized and germ and virus free hands, but also get a fresh lemony fragrance.
- Make sure to use only an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Supervise young children when they use hand sanitizer.
- Prevent children from swallowing alcohol, especially in schools and childcare facilities.
- Pour enough sanitizer on your hands to cover all surfaces.
- Rub your hands together until they feel dry (around 20 seconds).
- For optimum result, do NOT rinse or wipe off the hand sanitizer before it’s dry.
- DO NOT use hand sanitizer if your hands are visibly dirty or greasy—for example, after dealing with garbage, gardening, playing outdoors, fishing, or camping. If a water tap is not available around, wash your hands with soap and water instead.
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, you must clean your hands immediately. Wash your hands with soap or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer to avoid spreading germs.
Washing hands with soap and water is always better than using hand sanitizer. Soap and water efficiently remove all types of germs from hands, while sanitizer acts by killing certain germs on the skin. Although alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly kill various kinds of germs in many situations, they should be used when soap and water are not available or after cleaning your hands with soap and water. Soap and water are more effective than hand sanitizers at removing certain kinds of germs like norovirus and Cryptosporidium. They can remove most chemicals as well.