“Wine is bottled poetry”
Wines are alcoholic beverages made from grapes that are not your regular supermarket variety, they are smaller, sweeter, contain seeds, and thicker skins. Every type of wine you know, Cabernet/Red wine, Merlot/Red wine, Chardonnay/White wine, Grigio are all 100% made from fermented grapes which ripen just once a year, so you only have one chance in a year to make wine! This is where the concept of ‘vintage’ comes from. After the grapes are picked, they are squeezed in a tub as the French call it ‘cuvee’.
Wines can be a single varietal that is made of a single variety of grapes or it can be a blend of multiple types which gives them a distinct taste and aroma.
There are popular Types of Wines categorized due to their grape varietals.
- White wines are made of white grapes with their skins removed and are also the lightest. The popular varieties include Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio.
- Red wines are made from red, blue, black and purple varieties which are fermented along with their skins. Popular red wines include Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti, Merlot, Zinfandel and Pinot Noir. Studies have shown drinking red wine improves heart health and has many benefits.
- Rosé wines are sweet and pink in colour, and also known as Blush wines. These wines are made from the dark varietals. They are also made by blending white and red wines. Popular varieties include White Merlot, Tempranillo Rosé and White Zinfandel.
- Sparkling wines contain carbon dioxide bubbles which occur naturally during the fermentation process. These wines can be made from any variety. Popular varieties include Prosecco, Cava and Cremant de Bourgogne.
- Dessert wines are high in sugar content making them a popular choice with or as a dessert. Popular wines include Ice wines, Vermouth, and Lambrusco.
- Fortified wines have brandy and other spirits added to it during the fermentation process. Popular varieties are Port and Sherry.
India has a well-developed wine culture, thanks to excessive exposure to western culture and education. With a young population and ever-changing trends, the drinks choices have also changed. Wine is now a part of every celebration and so consumption has increased tremendously.
Without further ado, let’s have a look at the top 10 wines in India.
1. Grover La Reserve
One of the most admired favorites in the category of Indian red wines. A sip of this delicate wine and your tongue is greeted with flavors of chocolate, coffee beans, and vanilla, and smooth tannins that leave a pleasant aftertaste. It comes with an alcohol content of 14%.
2. York Arros
The vintage Arros is a blend of two-third Shiraz with one-third being Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine is dark with clean, complex, highly perfumed aromas of red berry fruits with spicy notes and a sweet front attack of dark chocolate, mocha, and coffee. The alcohol content is 14.5%.
3. Fratelli Sette
A delicious red wine, flaunting rich flavors of smoky coffee and chocolate. The 2017 vintage comes with woody, smoky aromas at first snuff, followed by faint notes of tobacco and dark plum. The alcohol content is 13.5%.
4. Sula Sauvignon Blanc
Herbaceous, crisp, and dry, with aromas of bell peppers, fused with tropical fruits like passion fruit and gooseberry (amla) with a racy, peppy finish. The alcohol content is 12.5%.
5. Krsma Sangiovese
The wine is dark crimson-colored and reveals its fruity flavors on your nose and palate. Notes of blueberries, dark plums, oregano, smoke, and earthiness complements the explicable finish. The alcohol content is 12.7%.
6. Reveilo Late Harvest Chenin Blanc Wine
This wine is a deep golden yellow color. The aroma comes from the overripe Grapes which are purely Raisin Grapes, Dry Figs, Honey, and Dry fruits like Almonds and Nuts. On the Palate, Sweetness is perfectly balanced with the acidity, resulting in a very pleasant and Velvety taste. The alcohol content is 14%.
7. Sula Sparkling Shiraz
A perfect party starter, this unique sparkling red wine is a fun, charming, and spicy Shiraz. Its one-of-a-kind ruby color will seduce you; its spices and smoky aromas along with pomegranate and dark berry notes will conquer you! The alcohol content is 13.5%.
8. York Zinfandel Rosé
The York Zinfandel Rosé wine is a perfect summer drink with a vibrant and refreshing taste. On the nose, it has passionate perfumed characters of cherries & raspberries. The candy & confectionery notes continue throughout the palate with a long refreshing crispy finish. The alcohol content is 12.2%.
9. Big Banyan Merlot
A quintessential luminous red wine, the Big Banyan Merlot is wonderfully smooth. The warm scents of dark cherries, plums, and blackberries, laced with a hint of cocoa, a dash of black pepper, and notes of minerals can be enjoyed in this wine. The alcohol content is 14%.
10. Reserve Tempranillo By Charosa
Designated together as one of the best red wines produced within the country, this liquor hails from the Charosa vineyard in Maharashtra. It comes in fascinating dark ruby color, and the wine comprises rich aromas of Coconut, Vanilla, and Raspberry. The taste has dominant fruity flavors ranging from Raspberry to Plum. The alcohol content is 13%.